Dental amalgam is a mixture of metal alloy and liquid mercury. It has been used to fill cavities for over 100 years. (see history of amalgam below). It is sometimes referred to as: silver filling or mercury filling. The main component of the material is 50% mercury which is one of the top 5 most poisonous substances on the planet!
IS DENTAL AMALGAM HARMFUL ?
In 1991, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed that mercury contained in dental amalgam is “the greatest source of mercury vapor in non-industrialized settings, exposing the concerned population to mercury levels significantly exceeding those set for food and for air”.